Are you trying to decide between a DIY website builder or hiring a web developer to build a new website for you? Let’s focus on some of the key points to help you make the right choice.
There are two approaches to creating a website that has the best design for your business. A DIY website builder gives you guidance on the construction of your website, but this can be tricky without understanding code. Alternatively, you can hire a web developer to help organise things for you.
What is a DIY Website Builder?
Website builders such as Wix and Squarespace are web-based tools for creating websites quickly and efficiently.
These builders can be difficult to navigate without experience, and understanding the code leads to confusion. Nevertheless, it has some appealing advantages:
- Quick to get started
- No design talent needed; a range of templates are offered
- Easy to use, drag and drop interfaces
- Web hosting is provided for you
- No maintenance required
These benefits are overshadowed by the lack of control over your website, and you will need to sign up to a subscription-based service on the web builder platform – something you can be locked-into. Other disadvantages include:
- Limited customisation
- May not be suited for all website needs or easily scalable
- You cannot move the site to a new host
- You might not own the domain
- Smaller 3rd party support (plugin / themes)
- They are not ideal for SEO (Search Engine Optimisation)
What is a Content Management System (CMS)?
A CMS such as WordPress is software that runs on a web server with a database to manage all website content. Much like a Web Builder, they still provide an effective method to create websites as the software is easy to install. They have the benefit of being more customisable and scalable, with a large number of free and professional plugins available.
Some advantages of creating a CMS over a DIY builder include:
- Control over your website hosting and domain name
- Flexible and versatile
- Themes and design options
- A wide range of plugins and addons
- SEO friendly
- Website speed
Which is better – CMS or DIY Website Builder?
This all depends on how you want to create your website;
- If you spend a lot of time running your business and haven’t got the time for web development, then hiring a web developer is the best option for you. The web developer can go into more complex issues and code the website properly. You will still have control over the website because you can communicate ideas to tailor your needs and expectations.
- The other option is a DIY website builder which requires more time and stress to get setup. This is a cheaper option, but it is much more difficult in the long run. Without the support of a web developer you are bound to run into some issues that can’t be resolved easily. If you are experienced and confident in web design then this is a good option, but it will require more effort and organisation.
Get started with your web design project today
At Imagine, we take care of all the technical aspects so you can have a CMS website designed and built stress-free, so you have more time to concentrate on your business.
If you wish to find out more and discuss your new web project, please call Imagine on 01636 922 747 or complete our online contact form and we’ll be in touch very soon.